Monday, January 28, 2008

Western Storytelling

I was listening to an interesting show on the BBC today. The story was a look at storytelling in Morocco, but it was a part of series looking at the loss of traditions. The show said that storytelling was originally intended to transmit important values and ethics to its audiences that could not be so easily transmitted via other forms of communication. I think in such a complex time as our own I feel we need more storytellers and I feel we have less. I will explain why.

The show said that storytelling would be analogous to a chess board. The West tries to make the most beautiful chess board, but the old traditions of other cultures try to master the rules of the game. I would agree. We know how to make a very enticing story, but how often does it entice us to take some type of action or have a reflection on our life. Very rarely. That should really be a storytellers purpose - to change his audience through word. A counterargument was made that modern shows and movies do this. I would argue as the BBC did that very few do. Among shows I can only think of Northern Exposure as doing such a thing and among movies "Everything is Illuminated" and "Before Sunset." I want a story that does glitter but a story with grit and substance.

Anyone with me on this one?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, I can give you a story with both of those things from the music world.

One of the best collection of stories that come together to form one story, and I think is a great influential story for anyone at this same age, post high school through college aged, would be none other than Bruce Springsteens "Born to Run" (not just the song, but the whole album).

If you want the whole experience, I would recommend picking up the actual album, in record format.

Another music group with amazing stories is Grateful Dead. Although almost all the stories involve a young man running away (and a double meaning either personal to the band... or LSD/other freetime activities that helped shape their music), they are always fun to hear.

Sadly, these are not too modern I don't think. Anyways.

Unknown said...

You make some good points Joe. I'd like to point out some of the bright spots though.
1. Sesame Street - Best time to give kids values is when they are young. Sesame Street does a pretty good job.
2. Real documentaries that motivate people and produce movements. Invisible Children is by far the best example of this. There was a big event on campus last year for this, if you missed it go to the site to check it out: http://www.invisiblechildren.com/about/whoWeAre/