Tuesday, January 22, 2008

How far should ones compassion extend?

This is one of the main questions that plagues us as human beings. We have the genetic defect or advantage that we choose to care for things on Planet Earth. We only have so many resources to provide to people. The greatest ones being time and money. Does our care extend to just ourselves, our family, our extended family, friends, strangers in your community, strangers abroad, animals, the Earth. I can't assume where any of you are because it is different for every person right now. I have to tell you that my reach changes everyday. Somedays I want to take care of the world including the Earth and somedays I don't care about a soul except myself. I'm sure this isn't uncommon, but I wish I could be more definite about where the line is. I would guess that Western society would tell me to stop with human beings. Real compassion does not extend to the Earth or other creatures. Right now I feel like I just want to worry about myself and that frustrates me. I know I should worry about others, but I at the same time feel like I waste my time when I do.

No comments: