Friday, January 18, 2008

Bonds

We each feel connected in different ways. Some feel connected through music, art, literature, etc. Each of us finds a medium in which we view the world and understand our own lives better. I would be interested to see how you like express yourself to the world and how you connect with others.

One a side topic I think that with the growth of standardization and globalization there is a redefining of bonds between people that I am not sure how to address. Branding of products has changed that quite a bit. Should I care that my table was made generically at target or my sandwich crafted by Panera as opposed to done with care with someone I personally know or came to know because of their work? I feel I want a deeper connection with my world. I would rather have an average cooked meal from someone I know then a well prepared meal from Panera. I feel that I am alone in this. We have all traded connection for convenience, safety, and taste.

I realize that this is a broad topic, but I am hoping I will get some posts that will spin out new posts and so on and so forth. This is something I am really interested in and care about - how we express ourselves to one another and more importantly how we come to understand each other - empathy my dear siblings empathy.

As for me personally I like to express myself through written word and understand others through literature. Literature at the end of the day is an art for me that is so well crafted that it can move to places no other form can. I also find connection with a well crafted meal - no surprise. There are many other forms that I find appealing from paintings to music, but these two I find the most. Tell me about your this planet we call Earth:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, specialization has sort of created generic items instead of having everything personally crafted. But how much connection does one really feel to a table anyway?

I think the American home is still a place that most people are connected with, even if they don't build their own homes anymore and even if most of the goods in it were bought at stores. The home still represents the fruits of hard work and the "American dream" and it is the memories that take place inside of it that really make it a home.

Another interesting topic could be the impact of the internet on the connections between other people. Certainly that has made a huge difference in how people express themselves. You can now talk or share profiles with someone on the other side of the world...or have your blog entries read by anyone.

I also think a hug is a wonderful way of connecting with others :-)

Tea Talker said...

Hugs are powerful, but I feel like Americans are adverse to touch.

Anonymous said...

True, in our politically correct era, a hug can be seen as sexual assault if you don't ask permission first! Just another example of how we shelter ourselves, I guess