Monday, January 28, 2008

The Death of DJs

My discussion about musical tastes led exactly where I wanted. American airwaves are missing DJs. People seem to want consistency even in their music. It takes creativity from the DJs. He can't find stuff he finds, he has to play stuff he is given. That's not how our parents found their music. They listen to actual DJs who exposed them to things that were strange, exotic, etc. That's how their music became popular. Our music becomes popular because record producers find artists, they broadcast them on radio, TV, and XM and suddenly they are an over night success. Of course this guy is going to be an overnight success - he's been found by a company that marketed his sound, make him into a product, and flooded the market with that sound. If people do not exotic music tastes it is for this reason. And to respond to the other posted comment, I am not trying to define music as good or bad, I want people to search for the unknown, not be afraid of sounds that are exotic, languages that are not their own, and music that has not been prescribed to them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree that we need to branch out more in music. Whilst I was abroad over break I found some totally awesome music from Europe and South Africa that I loved. When I got back to the states here I acquired copies of this music with ease and showed it to my friends, who all loved it. We don't really get a chance to hear foreign music very often on US radio and its not because it is difficult to come by. If we want to expand our cultural awareness one of the easiest ways is by listening to different cultures music.

Tea Talker said...

Jells,

I'm sorry I didn't realize that this comment came from you. A point well taken. I look forward to comments from you in the future.

J

Tim S. said...

Joe have you been listening to one of, if not the best (in my opinion), American classic rockers out there? One Mr. Tom Petty. If you have not you should check out "The Last DJ" which is an album devoted pretty much totally to this exact topic.