Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sounds of Silence

In my quest to listen more and speak less I seem to have upset some of the people close to me. It's hard to be someone who is quiet and attempting to be a good listener when people have known you to be a fast paced responder and dominate conversations. I seem to just more antagonize people with my minimal comments. However, this was my New Years Resolution and I want to follow through on it, uping my silence during lent. That doesn't mean I won't stop writing on the blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe part of being a good listener is being a good communicator...

Tea Talker said...

This is true Joe. I just feel that I am becoming tired of talking at least for now. I have talked so much that I just want to observe and reflect. However, I understand and heed your comment.

Anonymous said...

I understand why you would be tired of talking though. I have recently been very frustrated with my inability to initiate intelligent conversation and I can see how it could be frustrating the other way.

There's nothing wrong with reflection and silence either, I sort of like the idea of intentional quiet.

Anonymous said...

This might be a little more excessive than what you are looking for, but I find it interesting and informative almost, to really sit back and completely dissociate yourself from conversation or any social event and just observe things from the outside (either physically or figuratively). Of course, this begs the question, can you really observe the world thoughtfully and critically without taking part in it?