Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Unprecedented Responses - This is exciting

I have decided that I am going to give up my blog for lent. I feel I am going to use the lenten period to reflect on the issues that I have hastily brought forth on my blog. Today was amazing though because it seemed like there was some really good discussion going on. To respond to it all I think I will leave closing remarks to the people.

Chase - I did peruse your remarks that you and Joe Z posted on that one day about transportation. It would take a complete overhaul of our system. And perhaps we'd find it wouldn't be worth the cost. I am jealous of the European system of small hatchbacks, trains, metroes, water taxis, buses, and planes. Denmark was so well run - I was felt like I was coming back to a different age, not only different time zone. I feel like we have much to learn from European nations and we are really arrogant about our ways being superior - I know that's overly broad though.

Dan P - I haven't had an opportunity to respond to your comments, but I really enjoy reading them. To start out, I do have a strange love of cars, while at the same time hating how they are used. I think cars can be pieces of artwork, amazing machines to drive, and rather good for transporting people comfortably. However, from the congestion I see in the city of Milwaukee and other cities, they should not be the primary mode of transportation like people make them out to be. People should bike more, take the bus more, take the trains more, etc. Their travel should be diversified and the car should be there for travel that can't be completed by one of the others. Sadly, our country has been designed and we are used to using the car for everything. It makes me sad. I think the car has its purpose, but its being abused. I also am probably conflicted inside on the issue.

Secondly, I'm glad you backed me on the comment about things being the way they are. I thought that might get to you. It certainly got to me.

Third, even though I still lean toward the electoral college I realized I did so for rather arbitrary reasons. I really don't know why I support the electoral college. Am I following the fallacy I hate - "This is the way the world is"? I hope not but it doesn't look good:)

DanJ - Out of know where - slamming home some good comments. The bus system like the badger bus is good and perhaps buses are the form of public transportation that should be used in America.

To all who responded, keep thinking, keep reflecting. You all have left an impression on me with your comments and for that reason this blog has been worthwhile. I hope you all do well while I'm gone.

See you later,

Joe

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments Joe. I look forward to reading your responses when you return to blogging. Speaking of that I think it is foolish of you to give up blogging for lent. Lent doesn't make sense to me. Unless you are giving up something slothful, you are only hurting yourself. A better tradition would be to do something extra to help someone else during lent. I've found out that some Christians, like Shannon Holly, have the same idea and that is what they do.