Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Political Spike

Joe and Dan have now become a formidable counter to my comments. A move I didn't see. It's comparable to volleyball. I can see Joe constantly making perfect set ups for Dan to spike the ball across the line and leave me wondering how they scored a point. I applaud you both for that team effort.

As for your comments they have made me rethink my points as they should. I think that Barack will bring some change if nothing else in the attitude of the country. I still worry that he or McCain may be mavericks. I still think that touting the party line is an important ideal, but just not in American politics. People especially in our generation are apathetic to party ideals mostly because they are stagnant. We do not have the system where the party and the prime minister are elected together. I think I would be more akin to that, but I know it has its issues. I really want some different parties to emerge and for the parties to be the negotiators of policy. I think we have given too much power to the President. Something out constitution was never meant to do. King George is truly a tyrant but I think we have allowed his train of abuses. Sound familiar:) I think our political process needs a change, but it's not going to happen.

So...on that note if there is going to be a maverick, free moving, power wielding President it might as well be Barack Obama. He is weak on policies, which means he will be open to the ideas of Congress. I think he has an agenda, but won't force as much as Hillary. I think Dan and Joe still are blind to the fact that the Clintons. I as a moderate liberal support that type of politician. As I said, that is what makes it strange that I chose Barack Obama. However, I think that Bush has put us in such a bad place that radical policies is what this country needs to just bring us back to center.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think different parties can emerge. However, they sort of are--due to rifts in the current parties. The religious conservatives, who got Bush the nomination just 8 years ago, are gradually becoming obsolete. The Democrats are essentially being overruled by young people and first-time voters. Thus, I don't expect Congress to get along with the president, which I say is ok. Get with the program, or get used to the veto pen. Americans are sick of Congress' corruption, the approval rating of Congress is lower than President Bush's approval rating.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way Joe, please do disagree with us. I do not claim to be correct!

Unknown said...

Joe I appreciate the compliment you've paid Joe and I. I think that we each give our take on the issues and sometimes they line up nicely.

I would be opposed to the parliamentary system of government. When I vote for a candidate, I'm voting for the person not the party. George Washington thought that political parties would be the destruction of American democracy. I certainly wouldn't go that far but I think parties tend to produce divided loyalties. The loyalties of elected officials should be to the integrity of their office and the interests and wishes of their constituents. Parties do some good things like provide organization and platforms around which to gather public support. I have no illusions or desires to eliminate political parties in America, I would rather support the expansion of third parties to break the strangle hold of the two party system. My main point is this: Proper stewardship of their office should be the number one priority for any candidate but political parties divide their loyalty and force them into actions or positions that they otherwise wouldn't support. Politicians who tow the party line should be ashamed of themselves for telling their constituents that they are acting in their best interest.

I agree that executive power has gone too far and that is Bush's doing. Obviously the candidate that would do the most to combat this trend is Ron Paul but I think Obama will do very well too. Remember he is a constitutional lawyer. I think he will bring balance back to the oval office. I am curious to hear what makes you think that Obama is weak on policy and what you think me and Joe are missing about the Clintons.