Monday, February 4, 2008

"That's just the way the world works"

Does that phrase bother you as much as it bothers me? I was sitting in AIS 301 and the professor said it as the reason why a certain entry was made the way it was. I don't want to be relativistic, but the transaction occurs like it does because of a governing body decided as such, not because "That's the way the world works." The world, or our perspective on it can constantly change, so there are very few things that you can use that phrase for. If someone thinks I'm wrong, speak out:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That phrase pisses me off too. If there is something wrong with the way things happen then it should be changed, not blithly accepted. There is a very nice poem which sums up my feelings about the status quo.

"You can't stand still on freedom's track,
If you don't go forward, you go back,
You can't giddyup by saying Whoa,
And sitting on your status quo."