Saturday, February 2, 2008

The apathetic generation

There was the lost generation, well I think we would be the apathetic generation. A generation that just wants to get along and enjoy life. We don't want to try to cause controversy. The majority of us either are polarized to an extreme or just apathetic to an issue. Those with the polarized vision just try to antagonise and the rest of us just try to ignore them and get on with our lives. I am not sure how or what will engage our generation, but right now we don't realize the impact of our decisions. I started thinking about this with the discussion on music and storytelling. The people around me just don't care that there aren't forms of expression that voice the issues of our generation. They just want music because it sounds pretty, they just want a movie because it has a good plot and some basic meaning, they want TV shows because they have juicy twists and turns, and the Internet is more frequently used for popular entertainment than for finding important information. Who have I become as a result of who's around me? I'm passive, individualized, and reckless. A strange combination...

No comments: