Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Role Models/My Heroes

Role Models
1.) My Father
2.) Dan Rowan
3.) Leonardo Da Vinci
4.) Benjamin Franklin
5.) Ghandi


My Heroes
1.) St. Ignatius of Loyola - Catholic Church/Jesuits
2.) Rudy - Notre Dame
3.) James Madison - United States Govt./US Constitution
4.) Dick Bashaam - Marquette High Hilltopper Football
5.) Curly Lambeau - Green Bay Packer Football

Honorable Mention: L.L. Bean

I wanted to differentiate between heroes and role models. A role model, in my belief, is someone that you look up to/admire, but a hero is someone who embodies the principles of an institution. If you feel strong about a hero then you feel strongly about the values of an organization. The people as heroes are different than the people as human beings. Heroes are more representations of an institution and their stories may not actually reflect how they acted, but more help transmit a certain culture.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

(in chronological order)
My Heroes tier 1:
1.Socrates
2.Ben Franklin
3.Thomas Paine
4.Fighting Bob LaFollette

My Heroes tier 2:
1.Nicholaus Copernicus
2.Galileo Galilee
3.Francis Bacon
4.Thomas Jefferson
5.James Madison
6.Abe Lincoln
7.Frederick Douglas
8.Elizabeth Cady Stanton
9.Charles Darwin
10.Robert G. Ingersoll
11.Ghandi
12.Albert Einstein
13.Linus Pauling
14.Martin Luther King Jr
15.Carl Sagan
16.Russ Feingold

I don't really follow how you differentiate your heroes and role models. Kind of the same for me. My greatest heroes were exemplary in all or almost all (in the case of bf) aspects of their life. They were men outside their time and they provide the ultimate examples toward which I strive. My tier 2 heroes are all worthy of emulation in many respects but they provide incomplete or incorrect examples in at least one important aspect.