Saturday, March 29, 2008

Free Will

I have as hard a time changing someone as they have changing me. It frustrates me. If I think something is a better for a person I really want them to come to that reality. But alas they want what they want and I can only hope that they will be illuminated to that decision. But what if that decision is life threatening.

In the latest episode of Northern Exposure, Maggie has a dream that Joel is going to die in a plane crash. She tells him, but he is cynical of listening to her dreams. He thinks of them as just dreams. Maggie and the rest of town treat Joel as if he is a dead man. They all seem attached to the idea that he will die and try to convince him to change his flight plans, but he persists until the very end of the episode that they are all wrong. He eventually stays not because of the dream but because his substitute doctor upsets so much. How does it make you all feel when you something is right for someone else but they won't listen to you? On the other side how does it feel when someone feels like they know something you don't? How willing are you to change?

I used to take it rather personal when people don't heed my advice. I've become much more apathetic to the whole thing since coming to Madison. In fact I'm now to the point where I am resigned not even give advice because I think "What's the point. They don't care." I think as I go forward I will probably be less forward in helping people and more reactive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose that kind of brings up the question of why would you intend on doing something if you thought you were wrong? And isn't it more satisfying sometimes to proove people wrong than to accept their advice (see politicians).

In your instance of Northern Exposure I would have followed the town because I don't see dreams as predictions of the future as much as possible outcomes but we ultimately decide what ends up happening.

I know some people get offended when offered advice but sometimes I really like hearing what other people think - not because I'm going to change - but to really make me think about a decision and be sure that what I'm doing is the correct path (at least for me).

I think I tend to give sarcastic advice in serious situations just to lighten the mood.

So I think there's some times that advice is wanted and sometimes it's not but nobody makes it easy to know that

Tea Talker said...

Quite true.