Saturday, March 8, 2008

Alcohol

I've been wondering lately how much "drinking" effects my life. I feel that the people I know who drink do not have positive experiences. Furthermore, the experience itself feels rather arbitrary. I am suppose to drink something that inhibits my abilities and kills off brain cells with only have the slight effect of making me feel relaxed. Aren't there better ways for me to relax/socialize? The only two good reasons I hear for drinking. I feel no compelling reason to drink except the social aspect. I somehow feel left out if not a part of the madness. That being said I do not think I will ever have more than a drink, but I wouldn't mind having one. I just still feel so arbitrary in the action, but many things are - drinking coffee, watching sporting events, etc.

3 comments:

Maria said...

See, I'm not much of a drinker either. In fact, I've never been drunk. I have maybe one or two drinks and then get to the point where I feel all feverish and sweaty and then I decide that it's not pleasant anymore.
But the one time where I decided to get over it and drink more to the point of being tipsy was so worth it. I was drunk enough to not be responsible for anything I said that night. And I was completely aware that I was that level of drunk. So it worked out really well .* Having that kind of freedom to say what you want is the reason why I would drink again.

*This means my boyfriend got an earful. Not that I was going around to random people saying incredibly frank things.

Anonymous said...

It's one of those things where if you rationalize it, there isn't really a good reason to do it. Before I drank, I had plenty of solid reasons not to. But I tried it for the heck of it, and...it was fun.

So I say, if you don't want to drink, definitely don't. There isn't anything wrong with that, and we all know the negatives that come with alcohol.

However, I don't know if I've met anyone who drinks and doesn't generally enjoy the experience.

Of course, there is a small percentage of the population that does really stupid things while drinking that makes the whole thing look bad. But our society isn't that stupid in general, most people do it responsibly and have a good time.

Unknown said...

I have never and will never drink alcohol. There are both practical and philosophical reasons for this. The practical ones are pretty obvious and the philosophical ones may take some explaining. I don't crusade against alcohol although I would support a phased withdrawl of the product. I also find it amusing when people assume that I am religious because I don't drink.