Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Wing and a Prayer (Cont.)

To continue from my discussion below...


My own run in with the Church makes me think about my attachment to institutions and my community. Have I ever abandoned institutions because I found something within them unappealing? When is the tipping point when there are too many problems with an institution that you cannot turn around. When do institutions stop looking out for you and begin to abuse you? Is it when they give up on us or we give up on them or a little of both?

I can specifically think about the institution of Democracy as another example. I still believe I am far too apathetic about fighting for my rights, using my right to vote, etc. because of the bad things that politicians have done, the apathy of the people around me, and my own lack of belief in democracy at times.

However, that being said, I still believe that the costs of democracy are still outweighed by the benefits.

It makes me want to connect a Wing and a Prayer with another episode of Northern Exposure. There is an episode about Democracy in America and Chris gets in a discussion about whether it is more important who someone votes for or the fact that the person votes.

I think people need to vote because it’s the start of a good process. Even if your vote may not count it's like going to Church, it's supporting an institution - democracy and that's really important. At the end of that episode Chris and Ed are talking in the radio booth and Chris tells Ed to put a tally in the win column for Democracy because there was a good turnout rate for the voting.

I’m afraid that our generation takes our institutions for granted. At least I do. They can as easily fall as they were created and I am sure some of them should. However, I guess I have a plea for an examination for how institutions affect you and you them.

Are institutions composed of people or is there something greater than all the people involved? A synergy? I would say so, but I think at times it is good to realize they are both. I want to your thoughts on this.

No comments: