Saturday, May 3, 2008

Music

Building off of the last blog, I have come to realize that even my favorite topic of discussion - music is not free from being "filler." In fact it can be one of the greatest fillers. People will listen to music just to literally fill the air. However, music can be so much more. It's not just a collection of sounds that sound appealing. It's expression that teaches you something about another person and yourself.

An artist is not just an artist, but I feel from talking to my friends that it is to many people. A music artist just plays catchy tunes - they shouldn't have personal opinions, they shouldn't tell stories. The modern music artist is just a performer. I scoff at that thought, but it is probably what is demanded out there.

Music is a representation of a person's culture, their thoughts, their connection with society. Even if they express themselves through their instrument it is their form of speaking.

I personally want to feel a connection with an artist when I hear their music. I want "authentic" music. I am defining "authentic" music as music played by an artist who seeks express something about himself or herself while seeking to engender a change out of their audience. I realize that under this definition many things fall, but I am trying to separate all this trashy music that just sounds good versus the stuff that actually possesses valuable content. I realize this is very difficult because someone's trash is another's treasure, but maybe someone can help me with this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should have read this post before I commented on the last one--I think you're right.

There's lots of trashy music out there, unfortunately, but there is also lots of good music, in every genre. The fun part is that the harder you look for new music, the more awesome stuff you will find that nobody else knows about. Then you share it with other people and so on...