Monday, May 5, 2008

Fratres

Something new on my blog will be writing about how a certain song relates to my life currently. I really want to get at the question of how music affects my own life and how it affects all of you who read this. Please leave a song that really relates to how you currently feel.

My current track is "Fratres" by Arvo Part performed by Gil Shaham. The title means "Brothers" and it refers to religious monks. I don't know the story behind the song except that Part wrote it while out in the great open expanses of the Midwestern U.S. (He's from Europe). He said the song reflects his feelings while in this sparse silent location. I think it makes an excellent track for my own life because it goes from spurts of cluttered quick playing to simplistic clear notes. It makes me think of my own life that moves between utter confusion and surprising clarity.

So that's my bit, what's yours?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joseph,

I have a band that may be directly up your alley, they are a French Canadian band who, surprisingly enough, sing in French (Canadian, I don't know if there are drastic differences but I've heard tell that the French and French Canadians don't understand one another's French very well, but who knows?).

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=UHwSk8bFS4M