Wednesday, July 23, 2008

If you were going to travel across America, how would you best do it?

I pose this question to see what people think is the best mode. I would hands down say train if we lived in Europe, but alas we don't. I would conjecture that car is the best overall and if so what is the best vehicle to make that journey? If you want speed then a plane is a really good way, but you don't get that cross country feel and security is beginning to be a hassle. I don't think this is a clear cut answer I just think it's a person's opinion and that's why I pose it.

How would I answer this?

Volvo C30 or Audi A3 with two bikes in the back or on top. Of course this would be for a trip of one or two. I am open to other possibilities. I would actually like to see some answers on the best way to accommodate a family across the country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that you shouldn't have a bike/luggage rack on top of your car because it reduces gas mileage.

The trains in Europe were interesting but more of a novelty than efficient. It would have been slightly more expensive but way more efficient to take a plane from France to Italy. Plus, everything was delayed, just like airplanes. Oh well. I hear Germany is more efficient though.

We always drove around in our minivan. Of course, that was back in the day of $2.50 gas. I still think that's the best way to get around, but it seems like gas prices have been better towards the end of the summer. I suspect gas prices are done seeing $4/gallon for awhile, maybe not even next summer, but they will eventually return and exceed $5-$6/gal by 2012 or so. Then, I plan on using a covered wagon. Hopefully I won't die of dysentery, though.